Thursday, July 23, 2009

I can't make this stuff up

Yesterday when arriving home from work, Gavin was fishing in the creek in front of our house. I stopped and asked if he was having any luck since the minnows that swam in the creek were smaller than the actual bait he was using. He assured me there were perch as well, and I went on into the house leaving the fisherman to have his fun. As we were heading outside to leave for our church's Vacation Bible School, we heard Gavin screaming hysterically. Cody and I sprinted to the bridge to see what was wrong, and in the meantime I distinctly heard the word "snapping turtle". So, I veered off, grabbing my camera from the truck, and continued running toward Gavin. (I know your thinking, this was no time for a photo op, but my mind had raced ahead 10 years to how funny this would be when he was 18 and we could say, "Remember when you caught that snapping turtle from our little creek? Ha-Ha Good times" please don't call social services)

When we got to Gavin, he had a massive snapping turtle on the end of his line, and his hysterics were caused by not knowing what to do. Fishing is one of his favorite activities, and he was not going to drop his pole (especially in a creek containing a very large snapping turtle!)Nor was he going to reel the thing up! Finally, as his dad came to his rescue (he's a regular superman isn't he, fighter of all reptiles!)Mr. Turtle decided he wasn't hungry for brightly colored plastic bait after all, and let go, retreating under a rock. I did manage to take a picture of the snapping turtle on the line (sorry need a card reader to get the pic off, but will post it as soon as possible) but Gavin wouldn't let me take a picture of his face, because he wasn't looking his toughest.

I'm aware in posting this no one will be visiting me for awhile, with our home seeming to be a regular reptile center. Maybe I should start charging for tours.

No comments: